|Instructions for Word Mine Puzzle
- Puzzle Goal
Form as many common words as possible of the required lengths using
the letters in the Word Mine Puzzle title. A letter may be used in a
word only as many times as it appears in the title; for example, if
the title were POSSIBILITY, a word could contain up to 2 S's and/or
3 I's but only one P and/or B. Words not allowed are those beginning
with a capital letter, plurals, present-tense verbs ending in "S"
("lops," for example), contractions, and hyphenated words. The official
word list is composed of words deemed common by the editors; solvers
will form other legitimate words which are not on our arbitrary list,
but the applet's automatic scorer will count only words on the official
- Mouse Control
- Click on the text box to begin word entry.
- Click on a solved word to access the definition in a new browser window.
- Keyboard Control
Type a word of required length in the text box, then hit enter to submit
the word. If the word is on the official list, it will be entered in the
recovered list and the appropriate counter will be incremented. If the
word is not on the official list or cannot be formed from the title letters,
notice will appear in red next to the text box.
Note that after clicking one of the buttons below the puzzle (Save or Clear), you
must click on a text entry box before you can enter more words.
- Save records your progress. When you revisit this puzzle, your progress will be automatically loaded. Visit the help for more information.
- Clear will restart the puzzle.
- Show Lowercase/Uppercase toggles whether or not the words are shown in uppercase or lowercase.
- Show Alphabetized/Original toggles whether or not the source phrase is shown in alphabetical order.
- Reveal Answers will show all of the words in the word list. Words that were not correctly entered will be dark,
while the correctly entered words become gray.