|Instructions for Transposed Quote Puzzle
- Puzzle Goal
The original quote has been written into a rectangular grid and the text columns have been rearranged.
The Puzzle Goal is to unscramble the columns to reconstruct the original quote.
Punctuation has been removed from the quote.
Word breaks occur only at the dark squares. The end of a row is not
a word break; a word may wrap around the line.
- Mouse Control
Click on any letter in a column to select the column.
Once a column is selected, click on another column to swap the two.
To deselect a column without moving it, click on the selected column again.
- Keyboard Control
- left and right Arrows:
- If a column is selected, these arrows move that column left and right.
- If no column is selected, these arrows move the entire puzzle left or right, as the Up and Down arrows do.
- up and down arrows. The Up arrow moves the entire puzzle to the left.
The Down arrow moves the entire puzzle to the right.
- escape deselects the currently selected column.
Note that after clicking one of the buttons below the puzzle (Save or Clear), you
must click on a cell of the puzzle before using the keyboard controls.
- The double left and right arrows move the entire puzzle left and right.
- The left and right arrows move the selected column left and right
The icon under each column will mark the column. A marked column
is displayed in a lighter color so this can be used to mark
known columns. Moving a marked column removes the mark.
- Save records your progress. When you revisit this puzzle, your progress will be automatically loaded. Visit the help for more information.
- Clear will restart the puzzle.
After the puzzle is solved, a Click Here for Copyable appears in the lower right. Clicking this link causes a box to appear
with the final solution. You can use ctrl-c or command-c to copy the text, which you may then paste into an email or other document.
After clicking the link, you may click the same area again (the text has changed) to return to the puzzle solution.