|Instructions for Quotation Puzzle
- Puzzle Goal
The letters in each column of the quotation have been transposed and placed
below the column. The Puzzle goal is to unscramble the
columns to reconstruct the original quote.
Punctuation has been removed from the quote.
Word breaks occur only at the dark squares. The end of a row is not
a word break; a word may wrap around the line.
As you fill in the quote, the used letters grey out.
- Mouse Control
Click on a square in the grid to place the cursor on that letter of the quote.
Click on one of the shuffled letters below the grid to place the cursor in the topmost free square in that column.
- Keyboard Control
- Arrows move the cursor up, down, left, or right.
- Typing a letter causes it to appear at the selected location in the puzzle. The cursor will move to the next square.
The letter will only be entered if it is one of the letters in the column
- backspace clears the letter under the cursor, and moves the cursor to the left.
- delete clears the letter under the cursor.
- space clears the letter under the cursor and moves the cursor to the right.
- ctrl-left and ctrl-right will move the cursor backward or forward one word at a time.
- home and end will move the cursor to the beginning and end of the line, respectively.
Note that after clicking one of the buttons below the puzzle (Save or Clear), you
must click on a cell of the puzzle before using the keyboard controls.
- Save records your progress. When you revisit this puzzle, your progress will be automatically loaded. Visit the help for more information.
- Clear will restart the puzzle.
After the puzzle is solved, a Click Here for Copyable appears in the lower right. Clicking this link causes a box to appear
with the final solution. You can use ctrl-c or command-c to copy the text, which you may then paste into an email or other document.
After clicking the link, you may click the same area again (the text has changed) to return to the puzzle solution.