|Instructions for ChangeWords Puzzle
- Puzzle Goal
By changing one letter at a time to form a new word, transform
the beginning word to the ending word in the rated number of
steps (or fewer).
Common words are used in our solution, so that you may solve the
puzzle in fewer steps using a word or words we did not use. There
may be more than one answer sequence that is correct. No
capitalized words or contractions are used as intermediate
Note that if you do solve the puzzle in fewer steps than our solution, the
applet will not recognize your solution as valid. However, you can still
of course consider the puzzle solved.
Note also the the online applet does not contain a dictionary. It will
indicate that the puzzle is solved when all words are filled in with legal changes,
regardless of whether or not they are really words.
- Mouse Control
Click between two lines to place the cursor there.
- Keyboard Control
- Arrows move the cursor up, down, left, or right.
- Typing a letter causes it to appear at the selected location in the puzzle.
- backspace clears the letter under the cursor, and moves the cursor to the left.
- delete clears the letter under the cursor.
- space clears the letter under the cursor, and moves the cursor to the right.
- home and end move the selection to the beginning and end of the line/clue, respectively.
Note that after clicking one of the buttons below the puzzle (Save or Clear), you
must click on a letter before using the keyboard controls.
- Save records your progress. When you revisit this puzzle, your progress will be automatically loaded. Visit the help for more information.
- Clear will restart the puzzle.