|Instructions for Cipher List
- Puzzle Goal
Solve the encipherment to produce each word or phrase
in the category. Each letter in the original (plain)
word list has been replaced with a letter from the
cipher; for example, every 'A' in the original text
may appear as a 'C' above. In that case, to solve,
an 'A' would be typed in the blank above any 'C' in
the enciphered text.
As the list is recovered, a mixed alphabet of the
"plain" letters is kept. To complete the puzzle,
determine the Mystery Word (or phrase) in the category
from the shuffled letters: the Mystery Word is contained,
with letters in order, in the plain alphabet. Note,
however, that only the first occurrence of a particular
letter in the word or phrase appears in the shuffled
order. For example, the word BROOKLYN BRIDGE would appear
in the "plain" alphabet as BROKLYNIDGE. Note also that
not all possible letters may appear in the "plain"
alphabet; only those used to encipher one of the list
entries will occur, so that BROOKLYN BRIDGE may look
like BRO_LYNI_GE. The full entry must be entered into
the Mystery Word area to complete the puzzle solution.
If the Mystery Word is recovered before all the list
entries, it can be entered into the "plain" alphabet
(with appropriate repeated letters removed) to help solve
the remaining list words and/or phrases.
- Mouse Control
Click on or just above an underline, or on one of the cipher letters, to place the cursor selector on that letter.
Note that the underlines and letters in the "plain" alphabet and Mystery Word area may also be clicked in this way.
- Keyboard Control
- Arrows move the cursor up, down, left, or right. Note that the cursor will never move to correct answers.
- Typing a letter causes it to appear at the selected location in the puzzle. The cursor will move to the next square.
- backspace clears the letter under the cursor, and moves the cursor to the left.
- delete clears the letter under the cursor.
- space clears the letter under the cursor and moves the cursor to the right.
- home and end move the selection to the beginning and end of the word, respectively.
- ctrl-left and ctrl-right will move the cursor backward or forward to the next unentered blank.
Note that after clicking one of the buttons below the puzzle (Hint, Save, or Clear), you must click on a letter before using the keyboard controls.
- Highlight will toggle between highlighting only the letter on which the
cursor rests and highlighting all occurrences of that particular letter in the cipher.
- Cipher on Top/Bottom will change whether or not the cipher letters appear above or below the plain letters.
- Hint: Reveal Letter will enter the correct letter at the selected location.
- Save records your progress. When you revisit this puzzle, your progress will be automatically loaded. Visit the help for more information.
- Clear will restart the puzzle.