|Instructions for Garbledegook
- Puzzle Goal
- Recover the original quote and author's name from the garbled stream.
Letters remain in place, but a
percentage of correct letters, corresponding to the solver-selected
difficulty level of 1-5 stars,
have been replaced with incorrect letters.
- Mouse Control
Click on or just above a letter blank,
or on one of the letters typed, to place the cursor selector on that letter.
- Keyboard Control
- Arrows move the cursor up, down, left, or right.
- Typing a letter causes it to appear at the selected location in the puzzle. The cursor will move to the next square.
- backspace clears the letter under the cursor, and moves the cursor to the left.
- delete clears the letter under the cursor.
- space clears the letter under the cursor and moves the cursor to the right.
- home and end move the selection to the beginning and end of the line, respectively.
Note that after clicking one of the buttons below the puzzle (Save, Clear, Hint, or Original on Top/Bottom), you
must click on a letter before using the keyboard controls.
- Original on Top/Bottom will change whether or not the original garbled message appears above
or below the entered letters.
- Hint: Reveal Letter will enter the correct letter at the selected location.
- Save records your progress. When you revisit this puzzle, your progress will be automatically loaded. Visit the help for more information.
- Clear will restart the puzzle.
After the puzzle is solved, a Click Here for Copyable appears in the lower right. Clicking this link causes a box to appear
with the final solution. You can use ctrl-c or command-c to copy the text, which you may then paste into an email or other document.
After clicking the link, you may click the same area again (the text has changed) to return to the puzzle solution.