|Word Square 13 is a 5x5 grid into which the letters in the word NOEL
have been written so that each letter occurs once and only once in each row
and column of the square. The letters may or may not be scrambled in a row
or column, and a space appears somewhere in each row and column to fill the
grid. An example of a Word Square with the word HELP is
|1 ||H || ||L ||P ||E |
|2 ||P ||H ||E || ||L |
|3 ||L ||E ||P ||H || |
|4 || ||L ||H ||E ||P |
|5 ||E ||P || ||L ||H |
Given the clues about letter and space locations that follow, you should be
able to reconstruct our Seasons Greetings Word Square. (Note: letter
locations are given without regard to the spaces; for example, the 3rd letter
down column 1 means the letter in either the 3rd or 4th row, depending on
where the space is in the column.)
- E is the 4th letter down column 1.
- Going down column 5, the O is immediately followed by L in the next cell.
- The space in row 1 is not in column 1.
- N is immediately followed by O down column 3.
- The 4th letter across row 4 is E.
- L then N occupy adjacent columns across row 3.
- Across row 2, E immediately precedes the space.
- L is the 1st letter down column 4.