|Word Square 9 is a 5x5 grid into which the letters in the word WORD
have been written so that each letter occurs once and only once in each row
and column of the square. The letters may or may not be scrambled in a row
or column, and a space appears somewhere in each row and column to fill the
grid. An example of a Word Square with the word HELP is
|1 ||H || ||L ||P ||E |
|2 ||P ||H ||E || ||L |
|3 ||L ||E ||P ||H || |
|4 || ||L ||H ||E ||P |
|5 ||E ||P || ||L ||H |
Given the clues about letter and space locations that follow, you should be able
to reconstruct Word Square 9. (Note: letter locations are given without
regard to the spaces; for example, the 3rd letter in column 1 would mean the
letter in either the 3rd or 4th row, depending on where the space is in the
- In row 4, R is to the immediate right of W.
- The R and O in column 1 are not in adjacent rows.
- O is the 3rd letter in column 5.
- D is the 4th letter in column 1; the W in column 1 is not adjacent to
- In column 2, the W in one row is followed by R in the row below.
- D is the 3rd letter in row 3.
- R is the 4th letter in row 5.
- In column 1, the O in one row is followed by the space in the row below.
- The D in column 5 isn't in row 1.