|When the R & H Knock tax office opened early this morning, Mr. & Mrs. Wyman
and four other couples were waiting at the door to get their 2005 returns
professionally prepared. As it turned out, all five couples happily learned
that they were due tax refunds from the IRS, with no two couples getting the
same dollar amount back. Given the tax info below, you should be able to
compute each couple's full names and how much they will be receiving from
their income tax overpayment.
- The couple receiving the largest refund are due back twice as much as
the couple getting the second-largest refund.
- Ian and his wife, who isn't Debra, aren't getting the biggest refund
but are happy not to owe money to the IRS.
- The Paulman's refund is for $1,000 more than the amount due Brenda
and her husband.
- Lon and his wife are getting back $500 more than Ellen and her husband,
while Ellen and her husband are due $1,000 more than Mr. & Mrs. Rodman.
- Jeff and his wife and Alice and her husband celebrated their good news
by having breakfast together at the Chadwick Cafe.
- Both Christie and her husband and the Shermans had enough deductions
to itemize using Schedule A.
- Mark and his wife will receive a refund $500 bigger than the Trumans'
and $1,000 more than Debra and her husband's.
- Keith and his wife are due a refund from the IRS of $1,500.