|Word Square 7 is a 6x6 grid into which the letters in the word PLANE have
been written so that each letter occurs once and only once in each row and
column of the square. The letters may or may not be scrambled in a row or
column, and a space appears somewhere in each row and column to fill the grid.
An example of a Word Square with the word PLANE is
|1 ||A ||E ||P || ||L ||N |
|2 ||P || ||L ||N ||E ||A |
|3 ||L ||P || ||A ||N ||E |
|4 || ||N ||E ||L ||A ||P |
|5 ||E ||A ||N ||P || ||L |
|6 ||N ||L ||A ||E ||P || |
Given the clues about letter and space locations that follow, you should be able
to take off and land Word Square 7. (Note: letter locations
are given without regard to the spaces; for example, the 3rd letter in column 1
would mean the letter in either the 3rd or 4th row, depending on where the space
- Down column 1, L is immediately followed by P.
- A is the 4th letter down column 4.
- The 2nd letter down column 2 is E.
- N isn't the 1st letter in row 5.
- Across row 4, P is followed immediately by E.
- L is the 4th letter across row 4.
- A is the 1st letter in both row 3 and row 4.
- E is the 5th letter across row 1.
- In row 6, P is the 2nd letter across.
- P is followed directly by E down column 5.
- P is the 1st letter down column 4.
- In row 3, E isn't the 2nd letter.
- A immediately follows the space down column 6.
- In column 3, the L and space are not in adjoining boxes of the grid.