|When Sid Slapdash substituted for the 6th grade math teacher at Summerset
Middle School last week, he found that he needed to finish putting grades
on the report cards of five students (boys Ian and Justin and girls
Kami, Leslie, and Mandy). Unfortunately, Sid was distracted by a
paper airplane flying across the classroom and gave each student a
different grade from what he or she deserved. The five, including the
Quinn youngster, were each to get different grade--and each did. Given
the clues below, can you unscramble Sid Slapdash's report card snafu:
what grade (A, B, C, D, or F) should each have gotten and which grade
did he or she take home last week?
- No two students simply received each other's grades. Two of the
five got higher grades than they deserved, making their parents
at least temporarily happy, while three ended up with lower grades
when Mr. Slapdash erred.
- The five students are Leslie, the Rock girl, the Price boy, the
student who deserved a C, and the one who mistakenly got an A.
- The student who deserved a B, who isn't Ian, isn't the one who
took home a C on the report card.
- The grade Justin earned isn't a C.
- The student who should have received an F was ecstatic when a B
- The Tall girl, who isn't the one who should have gotten an A,
isn't the one who got a D in error.
- The student who got the mistaken F isn't the one who rightfully
expected a C.
- Mandy, who didn't take home a C, and the Smith child both told
Mr. Slapdash there was a mistake, but Sid told them to discuss it
with their regular math teacher.
- Ian received a higher mark than he should have.