|Word Square 3 is a 6x6 grid into which the letters in the word LUCKY have
been written so that each letter occurs once and only once in each row and
column of the square. The letters may or may not be scrambled in a row or
column, and a space appears somewhere in each row and column to fill the grid.
An example of a Word Square with the word LUCKY is
|1 ||C ||Y ||L || ||U ||K |
|2 ||L || ||U ||K ||Y ||C |
|3 ||U ||L || ||C ||K ||Y |
|4 || ||K ||Y ||U ||C ||L |
|5 ||Y ||C ||K ||L || ||U |
|6 ||K ||U ||C ||Y ||L || |
Given the clues about letter and space locations that follow, you should be able
to reconstruct Word Square 3 without having to make a LUCKY guess. (Note: letter locations
are given without regard to the spaces; for example, the 3rd letter in column 1
would mean the letter in either the 3rd or 4th row, depending on where the space
- The 2nd letter to appear in the order in row 1 is C.
- The 4th letter down column 2 is K.
- In column 4, Y is in the row immediately below C.
- The 5th letter in row 6 is Y.
- In row 4, K is in the column immediately after L.
- The 1st letter down column 3 is U.
- In column 1, L is in a row nearer the top of the Word Square than Y is.
- The 3rd letter across row 3 is U.
- L is not the 5th letter in order down column 3.
- Across row 2, K is in the column immediately after C.
- K is not the 1st letter down column 5.
- The 2nd letter in row 5 is C.
- In row 3, the K is in an earlier column than the L.