|Last weekend, Loudon and four friends went skiing at Big Roundtop. The
five boys soon were debating who was the best skier and challenging
each other to go down one or another of the mountain's hardest runs.
Finally, they settled on a dare: they would ski the five toughest runs,
starting with the easiest and ending with the most difficult. As it
turned out, however, after all five made the first run, one of them
dropped out of the challenge just before each of the subsequent runs, so
that four went down the 2nd run, three down the 3rd, etc.; only one skied
the final run. From the information below, can you determine the order
in which the runs were skied, the full name of the boy who quit
before each of the 2nd-5th, and the full name of the one who dared to
tackle all five?
- Brent dropped out of the dare after going down the Lonesome Pine;
Mayer was the next to quit after Brent.
- Johnson, who isn't Dan, dropped out right before the Two Towers
run; Evan is the skier who quit just before Johnson.
- Chris, who enjoyed skiing down the wooded Grizzly Bear run, quit
the competition just before the lightning-fast Slingshot.
- Wilcox decided to drop out instead of taking on the steep Spider's
- Neither Dan nor Alex is Shaffer, who finished the Lonesome Pine
run without falling.
- Evan and Wilcox were both using new skis received as Christmas gifts.