|Word Square 1 is a 5x5 grid into which the letters in the word HELP have been
written so that each letter occurs once and only once in each row and column of
the square. The letters may or may not be scrambled in a row or column, and a
space appears somewhere in each row and column to fill the grid. An example of
a Word Square with the word HELP is
|1 ||H || ||L ||P ||E |
|2 ||P ||H ||E || ||L |
|3 ||L ||E ||P ||H || |
|4 || ||L ||H ||E ||P |
|5 ||E ||P || ||L ||H |
Given the clues about letter and space locations that follow, you should be able
to HELP rebuild Word Square 1. (Note: letter locations are given without
regard to the spaces; for example, the 3rd letter in column 1 would mean the
letter in either the 3rd or 4th row, depending on where the space is.)
- H is the 1st letter in the sequence across row 1.
- The 3rd letter to appear in the order in column 2 is L.
- The last letter down column 4 is E.
- P is the 3rd letter in the row 2 sequence.
- The final letter in row 3 is H.
- The space in column 4 isn't in row 4.
- P is the 2nd letter down column 2.
- The E in row 4 isn't in column 5.
- The letters in HELP appear in their original order, though not necessarily
consecutively because of the spaces, across one of the rows and down one of
the columns of Word Square 1.